Saturday, February 20, 2010

Tappan Microwave/Stove/Oven Combo

Dear Tappan,

Thank you for being such a great microwave/stove/oven combo. I can remember the day when you were installed in our kitchen in the late 70s. It was a momentous occasion in our household. You have no idea. I was at my friend Melinda's house when you arrived but I could barely wait to get home to see how beautiful you were. And you have not disappointed us for over 30 years. Washers and dryers have come and gone...septic systems have been updated...but you are still kickin' it.

Although, the microwave hasn't been used very much, the oven and stove have been put to the test. Grandma and Mom never really liked the microwave oven and preferred cooking traditionally on a stovetop. Hmmmm...I didn't get that from them. Cooking food for 7 people at one time in your glory days, you were in constant use. I'm sure you enjoy the break these days with just cooking for 2 people.

I really never cooked much on you because the kids weren't really allowed to do much cooking. I tried to make a pizza once and nearly burned the house down...who knew that Grandma also used the stove as storage for her wooden handle pans?? I for sure didn't know...until that day. So, as I have been cooking the past few days here, I'm reminiscing about you. You still have that ticking sound when I turn the knob to "LITE" the burner. I don't cook well with gas since I've only always had electric since I moved out. This sound reminds me of home. And I like it.

Yes, you are an ugly 70s yellow. Yes, your clock still works. Yes, the backlight still works - although it takes a few seconds for it to warm up before turning on. You have been good to our family. Part of me wants to get the kitchen updated, but honestly, most of me wants you to stay as long as you can. It wouldn't feel like home without you.






love,
kath

4 comments:

  1. hilarious! i remember the burning wooden handle falling on the beautiful 70's linoleum floor leaving black holes in the floor and left a nasty scent!! no way to hide that from mom & dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep - you are right...i forgot about the burn marks on the floor!!! at least the linoleum was replaced ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My stomach is sore from laughing so freakin hard!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a slightly newer (c. 1981 - the clock is a flipcard digital on the main display, but the microwave countdown display is led) all electric model in my house. I love the stove and oven! (The stove burners run HOT compared to the smooth glass top model I recently got rid of.) I do not use the microwave unit much because my newer, stainless microwave is much more powerful and efficient.

    It is cream and goes nicely with the yellow & green color scheme in our kitchen. I know it was installed by the previous owners, and they used it fully and often caring for their children - but we are considering updating it to something that matches our refrigerator and microwave, and building a shelf for our microwave to sit on above the replacement.

    I have been looking all over online to see if I can determine how much the current unit is worth - everything on it works perfectly, even timers, clock, and buzzer alarms. And it is VERY clean. But most Tappan combination ranges I find are the late 70s double oven variety, or identical to yours. :( So the worth is stull unknown.

    ReplyDelete